Brian C. Winfrey Esq.
Attorney Brian C. Winfrey Esq.
Founder - Managing Partner
Brian Christopher Winfrey is a native of Nashville and graduate of Vanderbilt University Law School. The focus of Mr. Winfrey’s work is trial practice in federal and state courts for cases involving employment discrimination, retaliation, workplace whistleblowing, and wage and hour and overtime claims.
Mr. Winfrey is an experienced and accomplished trial lawyer. In the last decade, Mr. Winfrey has served as lead counsel in more successful federal jury trials in employment and civil rights cases than any practitioner in Tennessee federal courts. He has been the lead lawyer in a large number of recent verdicts which have resulted in millions of dollars of recovery for his clients. His cases have included several high-profile actions that have garnered substantial media attention.
For his impressive track record, Brian has been honored with inclusion in the Super Lawyers list and among the Best Lawyers in America. He has also been honored as among the “Best of the Bar” by the Nashville Business Journal and “In Charge – Legal” by the Nashville Post.
Brian frequently speaks and lecturers on trial practice techniques, employment litigation, and civil rights. Mr. Winfrey has remained committed to leadership and service to the legal profession throughout his career. He has served as an executive leader of the Tennessee Bar Association, Tennessee Employment Lawyers Association, and the Napier-Looby Bar Association. He has been recognized as a fellow of the Nashville Bar Association, Tennessee Bar Association YLD, and Napier-Looby Bar Foundation.
Before building Winfrey Employment & Civil Rights, Mr. Winfrey led the Employee Rights practice in Tennessee at the largest plaintiffs’ firm in the United States. He brings staff, resources, and skill to Winfrey Employment & Civil Rights and is dedicated to putting each client and their case in strong litigation positions for settlement or trial success.
- Vanderbilt Law School, Juris Doctor, 2006
- Middle Tennessee State University, Bachelor of Science, 2002
A Few Recent Jury Verdicts in Tennessee Federal Courts
- Benoist v. Titan Medical Manufacturing, Western District TN, 2021 ($500,000.00 verdict award) (additionally, defendant ordered to pay $228,430 in attorney’s fees)
- McGruder v. Metro Gov’t of Nashville, Middle District TN, 2021 (over. $500,000 total award pending full resolution) (defendant ordered to pay $287,700 in attorney’s fees).
- Peterson v. West TN Expediting, Western District TN, 2020 ($150,000 verdict award) (defendant ordered to pay $162,117.50 in attorney’s fees).
- Hanson v. John McBride and Blackbird Studios, Middle District TN, 2020 ($160,000 verdict award) (defendant ordered to pay $194,987.50 in attorney’s fees)
- Thomas v. Marshall County School System, Middle District TN, 2017 ($518,000 verdict award) (over $285,000 in attorney’s fees paid)
- Michon v. Western Express, Middle District TN, 2016 (defendant ordered to pay $138,630 in attorney’s fees)
Recently In The News